Saturday, February 18, 2017

Give Me A K-I-L-L by R. L. Stine REVIEW

By all technicalities, this is my first R. L. Stine book, which is a shame because I always wanted to read his books but my parents never let me because of content. I had an overactive imagination, so I guess it was a good call on their parts. Though I'm not disappointed! This, I enjoyed it a lot.

The story was very twisty, as in there were a lot of twists that happened very often. This leaves the leader with the thoughts of 'who's doing it' because the writing suggests that everyone's suspicious. The final twist was twisted with another twist and it was hard for me to wrap my head around what was going on. BUT I GUESSED THE ENDING SO I'M HAPPY.

The writing is by no means flawless, a lot of it felt rushed and wasn't put together well structurally and that made it kind of difficult to read especially when you consider the age group this kind of book is intended for. I really like clear concise timelines but I just think that's me. There wasn't too much jumping around time wise but R. L. Stine does this thing where he'll end chapters in the middle of one area and I take chapters as jumps in time rather than jumps in events. Sometimes he would end a chapter in one place, start the next chapter continuing the ending of the last chapter and then ending that continuation within a paragraph. The thought that comes to my mind is, why not just end that paragraph in the last chapter? It didn't build or lessen the anticipation factor so I didn't quite understand some of those choices, but that's just me.

Overall, pretty good, I had complaints and it wasn't perfect but what is the perfect novel really?

No comments:

Post a Comment