Sunday, February 5, 2017

Anthem by Ayn Rand REVIEW

I write this review understanding that a lot of people dislike Ayn Rand's point of view. However, as I learned about her life I completely understand how she came up with Objectivism. I just love Ayn Rand's work, okay?

So Anthem, in the current political climate consisting of the regressive left versus the alt right... Well, I found this novel to actually be something that could be applicable. Obviously not in a literal kind of way but the world that was presented I could not help but think that it was very much similar to the regressive left's point of view on everything. And that thought was stuck with me throughout the whole novel.

It was in first person throughout the book, set in a world where people referred to themselves as 'we' rather than 'I' because the concept of individualism is a sin. Having your own ideas or opinions in this world is a crime punished by death.

Our protagonist in this novel seeks to prove himself in this world where it's about the collective. He does his job, he discovers an area and starts to invent things, and he falls in love.

I must admit that the romance was oddly placed. Ayn Rand was a feminist and in her time, the way she wrote her female characters were not the norm. However, this main female was a let down for me. This was not the strong female character that I'm used to from Ayn Rand.

There were times when I found plot holes but then a few pages later those holes were filled in effortlessly and as an aspiring writer I find that to be very impressive. There was also a lengthy monologue at the end that lasted for pages where the main character adamantly declared his independence. I feel that that should have been drastically condensed because it was really repetitive.

Ayn Rand isn't perfect and her philosophy isn't perfect but in this day and age where words matter more than action, I'm finding Objectivism to be more and more attractive as the days go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment