Thursday, March 9, 2017

Unrequited Alice by Sarah Louise Smith REVIEW

As I struggle to get through all of the ebooks that are leeching away at my phone memory, I went with the logical route and decided to start with the books that I have been granted access to read before they came out. Unrequited Alice is one of them, thanks netgalley! I want to point out my huge failure in life when it comes to this and that I have had this for over a month and just read it. The book comes out in two weeks. FML.

So, I haven't read from this author yet but if all of her books are as charming as Unrequited Alice, I might just want all of them.

There's very specific feelings that come with unrequited love. It's really painful and bitter and it's kind of like 'I need to get over this' but then it's like you can't because you're so smitten with this person that will never like you back. I read the title and I was just like 'is this my autobiography?' The answer is no because my name is Hope and Unrequited Hope just sounds super depressing.

The book is charming in it's delivery, we watch two people that are in love pretend that they're not in love. It's that frustration that makes you want to throw your phone out the window. Sarah does this kind of angst well with very subtle humor. The way she writes it makes it seem very true to life. Like, it seems like shit like this could actually happen and I have no doubts that they did. This will probably happen to me one day without the romance aspect.

It was the realism that made me like this. The characters weren't perfect. They were people that have been hurt and act like people that have been hurt. This is how life goes. Of course, the only thing is that a lot of relationships like this don't end in romance and while I was reading in the beginning I dreaded that Sarah was going to go super into the real life aspect and they weren't going to end up together. I wasn't disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment