Sunday, March 12, 2017

Bad Girls of Fashion: Style Rebels from Cleopatra to Lady Gaga by Jennifer Croll

Very slowly, I am making it through my netgalley list. Given the fact that the majority of my weekly reading is done on netgalley (the weekends is reserved for physical books) if I do not particularly enjoy a book and it makes me disinterested in reading, it really inhibits my ability to review objectively.

I'll be blunt, I chose to read this book for three very specific reasons; Cleopatra, Lady Gaga, and the title. There were some other things I was interested in; Marie Antoinette, Coco Chanel, Elizabeth I, Nicki Minaj, Marilyn Monroe... There were some people that I just plainly don't like at all, like Rihanna and Madonna but other than that I was just not interested in most of the other people in the book.

The evolution of fashion could not occur without these women that pushed the boundaries and I'm grateful but most of the time if they're not a person in history that I am interested in personally, then I just get bored. I've recently acquired a new boat of confidence after watching Jordan Peele's movie, Get Out, and don't feel the need to feel ashamed about being disinterested about certain things. Of course, with books like this, most people will have the same problems I did but with different people, it's a matter of preference.

I do think that it's a bit wordy, there was definitely some text in there that wasn't needed. In some nonfiction books, there's boxes that are off to the side that has interesting facts that would be otherwise inappropriate to put into the main text, the problem was that none of them were interesting and I found myself skipping over them.

The one thing that I do like about this is that I finally got some base knowledge on Frida Kahlo. I often hear other people gush about her and I never quite understood the hype until I saw her paintings in this book and then I understood. So there's that.

Overall, I enjoyed this. I didn't enjoy it  too much because some parts did bore me to the point where I was struggling with sleep but other than that I have no major complaints. Do recommend, would buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment