Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Croc and the Fox by Eve Langlais REVIEW

Hello shame, my name is Hope.

This is my favorite book in the series so far. I loved Renee and her whole dynamic. I loved the fact that she was both a victim and a fighter. I loved how resilient she was. I love how Eve put her in a situation where she was helpless and put her in the position where she was the only one that could do something.

There's critics that will say something like this; "Renee is so unrealistic. She went through so much trauma for so long and she didn't even bat an eye. She recovered so smoothly." NO SHE DIDN'T and let me explain why.

Eve wrote Renee's character really well because Renee went through prolonged trauma. Throughout the majority of the book she is extremely dependent on Viktor. The dependency is typical of a person in Renee's situation. Viktor is who she knows will protect her because Viktor saved her from a bad situation. Renee also is very hesitant around strangers, not just hesitant but very mistrusting and scared around strangers. In fact, Renee spends a large majority of the book afraid. She also made jokes about her situation, which can also occur with some victims. It's not that Renee miraculously healed from her trauma, it's that she's coping with it by ignoring it's severity. There will be a time off-screen when Renee has to deal with her trauma but for now she focuses on things that makes her feel safe and happy.

Since this is a humor based erotica series, Renee kept things really calm and I commend her for this. Leaving Renee's struggles as subtle things is a true to life ordeal for individuals that have experienced prolonged trauma like Renee had. Even speaking from my own experiences after a lifetime of various abuse, a person doesn't notice that something's wrong with me unless something is really wrong, and it's from ignoring the trauma and focusing on other things. I never went through something as extreme as Renee but I understand her and that's what let's me know that how Renee is doesn't mean that she's okay, it just means that it's not the focal point for Renee. She's focusing on Viktor and in the future when she finds it to be the right time to face her trauma in a way where she can really heal, she has Viktor and her mom to support her.

That being said, the plot for this book was better than the one in the second book because Renee was a shifter that was experimented on by the mastermind. This book was a perfect puzzle piece to the rest where the second book was just kind of 'meh' and that was good. I have to say that this is my favorite book thus far.

Also, the fact that my erotica tag is getting bigger and has no signs of shrinking.... I feel shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment