Friday, January 20, 2017

Amelia's Notebook by Marissa Moss REVIEW

Let's go all the way back to the year 2001. Yes, all the way back to that time. I was eight, in the third grade, and I was just getting into creative writing. I have been reading since I was really young, my parents really pushed it on me, and at this time of third grade I was very advanced at reading but I had never really bothered to write and teachers up to that point never bothered to properly teach it. So, it was random but after a writing assignment my teacher and a guidance counselor pulled me aside during lunch and wanted to make this writing club with me and other kids that showed 'talent' in creative writing. To make this short, she gave all of us (4 kids in total) an Amelia book to read and get inspiration.

Since then, I have loved this series a lot. It's not so much a quality thing as it is a nostalgia thing (like most people with Harry Potter and Twilight). That being said, I was quite poor as a child and never got to read another one of the books other than the one that was given to me.

Obviously now as an adult I am actively looking for all of these books in my local bookstores (all secondhand) and I came across the first book in the series. It was very exciting and when I got home, I read it, and it was still as entertaining as I remember it being.

As far as children, I think that this series is still good to promote creativity in children. This series was one of the things in my childhood that really showed that expressing myself through writing was an acceptable option. The wording isn't too complicated, the colors are vibrant, the language is childlike, I don't really see any reason why a child wouldn't like it but I might say that it's a matter of preference. Maybe give it a shot?

No comments:

Post a Comment